Vision: Civilian’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (Updated July 2023)
Civilian is committed to an ongoing journey in becoming an actively anti-racist, inclusive organization where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and that their diverse experiences, voices, backgrounds, and contributions matter. Through an intentional focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in our agency, we harness the unique contributions and lived experiences of our team to create innovative work in response to some of our society’s most pressing challenges.
How We Put This Commitment Into Practice At Civilian:
- We continually aim to create a safe, welcoming, and open environment where all employees and partners feel like they belong, are valued, can bring their whole selves to work, and are key to our agency’s overall success.
- We consistently assess how BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and other diverse individuals can thrive in a predominantly white/white privileged industry and organization; and are continually working to create an equitable workplace where each unique employee brings value to the organization’s culture.
- We hire and promote the most qualified individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, age, parental status, national origin, religion, color, or creed. We only get better when diverse ideas, perspectives, and identities come together, and therefore actively seek out candidates with non-traditional backgrounds, education, experiences, and skills who bring new viewpoints to our agency.
- We value the input of all staff in decision-making, policy development, and other day-to-day practices at our agency.
For our clients and external partners:
- Our client and partner needs are met when we go above and beyond to ensure we are seeking out and retaining diverse talent. Our clients and ultimately, the work, benefit from a team with a diverse array of backgrounds, identities, and authentic, lived experiences.
- We prioritize working with diverse, women, disabled veteran, and BIPOC-owned businesses and partners whenever possible.
Our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging is upheld by our core values at Civilian, which include:
- Seek First to Understand
- Practice We Over Me
- Operate With Integrity
- Rise to the Challenge
- Make Things Better